We see it all over our social feeds now days: brand rep searches, brand rep hashtags and social profiles with lists of brands they "rep" in their bio. In the day and age where so many people make a living off social media profiles, all this brand rep buzz plants seeds of opportunity as we scroll through and wonder: what is a brand rep? How do I become a brand rep? and, how do I build a successful brand rep team for my brand?
What is a brand rep?
A brand rep (or brand representative) is someone who represents a brand on their social media platforms, most often on Instagram. A brand or store chooses a social influencer (child or adult) based on the style of photography, social media audience demographic and the look they want to promote. In the case of clothing brands: if the social influencer's profile resonates with the company's photo and fashion style, appeals to their target audience and fits the overall vibe the brand is going for, it's a great opportunity for the two to collaborate in generating content and exposure.
How do I become a Brand Rep?
If you think you (or your child) is a great candidate to become a brand rep, build a social profile that reflects the style of brands you hope to work with. Show your personality, get quality photography and engage actively on social media. Some recommendations to get the brand rep position of your dreams:
1. Follow and engage with the company you have your eye on.
2. Organically promote and share the company's products and images.
3. Reach out to the company and tell them you are interested.
4. Participate in brand rep search contests (but only the ones you are most interested in!)
Over time, your audience will grow, your relationships with prospect companies will build and, you might even be contacted to become a brand rep by the company themselves.
How do I build a successful team for my brand?
To start to understand who will make up your team and how to establish a successful relationship between your brand and your team, ask yourself these questions:
1. What are three to five words that describe your brand? (Ideally your Brand Rep Team Member profiles will resonate with this and reflect your brand's style).
2. What are some other social profiles (brands or models etc) that inspire your brand? (Consider partnering up with these people or accounts like them to help your brand be seen by the consumers in a similar light!)
3. What are you looking for from your Brand Rep Team? (For example: increase in audience through the search process, additional photo content from the team, additional blog content from the team, shares for continued exposure etc).
Your answers should help you decide if it suits your brand better to reach out organically to select people you would like to invite to your team OR to run a Brand Rep Search. The advantage of a Brand Rep Search is increased exposure via required shares from those who enter to become part of your team.
Once you have selected your team, you might consider naming the team to suit your brand's style. We think our Ppippilong Kid's Crew represents us perfectly! We suggest you establish an agreement so expectations on all sides are clear and the relationship is mutually beneficial! After all, the more you support your team members' accounts in growing, the more your brand's account can grow from their support too!